I have negative knitting to share for Yarn Along this week. Well, technically I finished the plain pair of socks for Ella. But they were whisked away, worn, and thrown in the laundry before I got a picture. But I’m sure you all can imagine what they looked like. They were made with the leftover Astra from her birthday socks.
Why is it negative knitting this week? Because I ripped out the sweater I had started for Belinda. I don’t know what the designer was thinking when she made the sweater at sport gauge (24 sts/4 inches) with fingering (28-32 sts/4 inches) sized yarn. I gave it a real try, but it was horrible. It was like a shawl with sleeves. It didn’t look like the picture and was going to be far to hard for my laundry-impaired sister to manage. So now what? I’m making my own version of that sweater. I’m using all the lace/cable charts of the original with the numbers from my favourite book, Knitter’s Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges. Unfortunately with the new gauge I need more yarn. I have a desperate email into Knit Picks (still waiting). But worst comes to worst and I’ll take apart the new socks I made (haven’t worn yet). If I mix in the rows the different dye lot shouldn’t be noticeable.
I’ve also started a new purse knitting project. Just a regular pair of socks for me. Toe-up since I only have the one skein. That’s the beauty of this sock formula. It works (supposedly) for any size yarn. I’ll let you know.